GF Steak, Crispy Roasted Brussel Sprouts, and Homemade Paleo Ketchup - YUM!
Yesterday marked the end of week 1, and so far things are going. . . okay.
I have to admit that I had some CRAZY cravings in the first week but I was able to ignore them and am still going strong. Reflecting back, I definitely ate a bit more fruit than I really should have in the first week, so I am going to be more mindful of my fruit intake this week. I didn't go hog-wild or anything but I can definitely think of 4 or 5 instances where I was craving the hell out of some sugar and reached for a piece of fruit to quiet the craving - not a good habit to get into if I want to put my Sugar Demons back to bed!
I have made some uber delicious meals this week though :)
- Paleo Veggie stuffed Meatloaf with a Balsamic Glaze & Grilled Broccoli w/ Garlic Olive Oil
- Nitrate/Sugar Free/Organic Chicken Sausage and Sweet Peppers and Onions over a bed of baby Spinach, topped w/ homemade guacamole
- Grilled GF NY Strip with Crispy Roasted Brussel Sprouts & homemade Paleo Ketchup
- Lots of salads for lunch chock full of colorful veggies, Avocados, HB Eggs, Pistachios with Wild Tuna or Sardines or Chicken
- Delicious GF Beef Stew with Brussel Sprouts and lots of other veggies (was really good when I was sick!)
- Curry Chicken and Cabbage
- Breakfasts have been Poached Eggs over Broccoli Slaw w/ Avocados & Sometimes the addition of blueberries and walnuts (YUM!)
I bought a bag of bing cherries mid-week and those things were like candy! They were juicy and delicious but I don't think I'll be buying any more for a few weeks because I did tend to "crack out" on them a bit when I was craving sugar.
I also bought a few small tangerines and these were really juicy and delicious too, but I was able to "control myself" much better with these. I think I'll buy 4 this week and make them last.
Yesterday was my first day back to CrossFit after being out for vacation and then being sick as a dog for 2 weeks with the flu - I got my booty handed to me on a silver platter! I hurt EVERYWHERE today! But it's that "good hurt" that just reminds me that I'm doing something right :)
My energy levels are still way off and at this point I don't know whether to contribute it to the after-effects of the Flu, my Thyroid, or the adjustment back to Paleo. I really don't think it has so much to do w/ my adjustment back to Paleo because I only went "off-course" for about a week and a half. I've got to get back in to get my Thyroid levels measured again. The last time I had them checked right before vacation they were continuing in the wrong direction, and the doc told me that she'd have to put me on Thyroid meds if they continued that way, so I've been dragging my feet a little with the followup. . . .but I think it's time to get myself in there!
So to summarize - all in all it was an "okay" first week. I stuck to the plan 100%, and prepared lots of yummy foods, but fought my fair share of cravings and also was sick the first half of the week. I hope that next week goes a little more smoothly as a result of my returning to the gym, and no longer being sick.