During my last challenge, I was strict Paleo (w/ the exception of steel cut oatmeal each morning) from June 1 through July 26th. In the process, I dropped 15 lbs of fat and 3 inches off my hips, and all of my PR's improved. Additionally, I felt awesome and had very few cravings for crap! I FINALLY found a healthy way of eating that I can stick to and not feel deprived!
I stayed pretty strict Paleo w/ an occasional cheat after the challenge ended, up until last week at my parents house. Last Wednesday, I went out to dinner with a girlfriend, and CHOWED on some killer Mexican food at Abuelo's. . . followed by an ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery! I had every intention of jumping right back on the wagon, but proceded to continue with cheats over the next week. Bagles, Beans, Cheese, and Chocolate - you name it - I ate it!
As any idiot would deduce - this led to feeling like CRAP! Why do we do this to ourselves when we know what the end result will be??
Before I get into the details of my challenge, I've got to post a picture of the food porn that I gorged myself with last night, as a send-off to my non-paleo week of hell:
That would be a juciy Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe, HOT, FRESH and CRISPY Wendy's french fries (w/ the obligatory ketchup of course!!!), a Coke Classic, and an Oreo McFlurry from McDonalds. . . yes, that's right folks . . the Wendy's ice cream machine was broken so I drove my happy ass to Micky D's to get my final ice cream fix!!
While I do have to admit that this all tasted heavenly in my homework/stress induced feeding frenzy at 11 pm, I definitely paid the price! I feel like HELL this morning. . . .and am thrilled to be back on the Paleo Wagon!
So, here are the details of my Paleo Challenge:
- Dates: August 24th - October 17th (8 weeks)
- Vices: Oatmeal & Protein Powder
- Incentive: $2 per strict Paleo Day, $1 per PR (Lift or CF Benchmark), and $5 per week that I complete all scheduled training sessions (5 sessions Oly Lifting, 5 CF WODS, & 3 CF Endurance WODS) added to "splurge" pot.
- Penalty for Cheating: I do not plan to cheat. I will not cheat. However if some freakish thing happens and I do happen to eat so much as one bite of a non-paleo item that is not one of my vices, I will be forced to empty my "splurge pot" with no chance of earning back the money lost.
- At the end of the challenge, I will take the money in my "splurge pot" . . . and SPLURGE on something totally off-the-wall that I would typically not treat myself to - like a really nice pair of jeans or something along those lines
Regarding the Protein Powder - some consider this acceptable under Paleo Eating and others say it's a "no-no". I don't really care what anyone else says - again, I'm doing what works for me, and I have found that there is no better recovery food for me personally than mashed sweet potatoes & protein powder! Recovery time is the only time that I will use PP though.
- Business Meeting in late Sept (will have to deal with airports, travel, and "social events" while staying strict paleo; will have to take substantial amount of paleo food w/ me; will have to deal with peer pressure of all of my co-workers to "eat something")
- Oly Lifting Cert in San Antonio mid-Oct (will have to deal w/ travel and "social events" while staying strict paleo; should be easier than business meetings b/c will be around other "health-oriented" people)
- Final month of college classes is September and I'm taking 3!! - this will cause significant stress and long nights of study. My coping mechanism for stress has always been food, and I like to reward myself after the completion of a difficult assignment with ice cream. I need to break this cycle of rewarding good behavior with food.
- I don't have any specific goals such as "drop x # of lbs"
- My goal is to remain strict Paleo the entire 8 weeks without a single cheat
- I also hope to increase PR's and cut body fat so that I'm at my ideal "fighting weight" by the end of the challenge